250ml (1 cup) vegetable stock
125ml (½ cup) cream
50g cream cheese
250ml (1 cup) ACE QUICK COOK MAIZE MEAL
10ml (2 teaspoons) chopped fresh thyme
120g (1 cup) Golden Cloud cake wheat flour
2 eggs, lightly beaten
360g (3 cups) breadcrumbs
sunflower oil, for shallow frying
extra fresh thyme leaves, to serve
1. Grease a 3cm-deep, 18cm x 28cm baking sheet. Line base and sides
with baking paper.
2. Place stock, cream and cheese in a medium saucepan over medium
heat. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Gradually whisk in ACE
QUICK COOK MAIZE MEAL. Whisk for 3 to 5 minutes or until
thickened. Stir in thyme.
3. Working quickly, pour hot polenta mixture into prepared pan.
Smooth the top. Refrigerate for 2 hours or until firm.
4. Cut set porridge into 18 fingers. Place flour, egg and breadcrumbs
in separate shallow dishes. Coat fingers in flour, shaking off excess.
Dip in egg. Coat in breadcrumbs.
5. Transfer to a large baking tray lined with baking paper. Cover with
plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 20 minutes or until firm.
6. Heat oil in a deep, heavy-based frying pan over medium-high heat.
Cook, in batches, for 2 to 3 minutes each side or until golden and
7. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towel to drain. Season with salt
and pepper. Serve with a tomato and onion sauce or chakalaka.