1 large egg
90ml (1/3 cup) grated Parmesan cheese
15ml (1 tbsp) dried parsley
salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
750ml (3 cups) water
170g (1 cup) uncooked ACE MAIZE RICE
150g (1 ½ cups) dried breadcrumbs
125ml (½ cup) oil
1. In a medium bowl, whisk together egg, cheese, parsley, salt and
pepper. Cover and refrigerate.
2. Pour water and 1 teaspoon salt into a large saucepan and bring
to a boil. Stir in ACE MAIZE RICE, reduce heat, simmer gently
until water is almost absorbed, stirring frequently.
3. Remove from heat, drain thoroughly, place in a bowl. Slowly
pour in egg mixture, stirring rapidly to prevent egg from
scrambling. Allow maize rice mixture to cool completely.
4. Pour breadcrumbs into a pile on one end of a chopping board.
Dampen hands and roll maize rice mixture into 5cm balls. Coat
each one with breadcrumbs.
5. In a small, deep frying pan, heat oil (should have enough oil to
completely cover samp balls). Fry maize rice balls 6 at a time,
turning as needed to ensure even browning. Drain on paper
towels and serve warm.