Crispy pap fingers recipe
- 250ml (1 cup) vegetable stock
- 125ml (½ cup) cream
- 50g cream cheese
- 250ml (1 cup) ACE PLUS FIBRE
- 10ml (2 teaspoons) chopped fresh thyme
- 120g (1 cup) Golden Cloud cake wheat flour
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 360g (3 cups) breadcrumbs
- Sunflower oil, for shallow frying
- Extra fresh thyme leaves, to serve
- Grease a 3cm-deep, 18cm x 28cm baking sheet. Line base and sides with baking paper.
- Place stock, cream and cheese in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Gradually whisk in ACE PLUS FIBRE. Whisk for 3 to 5 minutes or until thickened. Stir in thyme.
- Working quickly, pour hot polenta mixture into prepared pan. Smooth the top. Refrigerate for 2 hours or until firm.
- Cut set porridge into 18 fingers. Place flour, egg and breadcrumbs in separate shallow dishes. Coat fingers in flour, shaking off excess. Dip in egg. Coat in breadcrumbs.
- Transfer to a large baking tray lined with baking paper. Cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 20 minutes or until firm.
- Heat oil in a deep, heavy-based frying pan over medium-high heat. Cook, in batches, for 2 to 3 minutes each side or until golden and crisp.
- Transfer to a plate lined with paper towel to drain. Season with salt and pepper. Serve with a tomato and onion sauce or chakalaka.