Beef Stew with Maize Herb Dumplings
- 45ml (3tbsp) oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1kg stewing beef
- 4 tomatoes, peeled and diced or 1 can (410g) ALL GOLD Diced Tomatoes
- 10ml (2tsp) cayenne pepper
- 2ml (1/2tsp) mixed dry herbs
- 1pkt (50g) brown Onion Soup, dissolved in 625ml (2 ½ cups) water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 250ml (1 cup) GOLDEN CLOUD Self-Raising Flour
- 125ml (½ cup) ACE SUPER MAIZE MEAL
- 15ml (1 tablespoon) chopped fresh parsley
- 50g margarine
- Salt to taste
- Heat oil and fry onion and meat until meat has browned.
- Add tomatoes, paprika and mixed herbs, cook for 5 minutes.
- Add brown onion soup, check seasoning, bring to the boil, simmer gently for 1 hour or until meat is tender.
To make dumplings:
- Rub margarine into GOLDEN CLOUD Self-Raising Flour and ACE Super Maize Meal until it resembles breadcrumbs.
- Add herbs and enough water to form a stiff dough.
- Divide into 8 dumplings, drop dumplings into stew at about 30 minutes before the end of cooking time.
- Cover and cook until fluffy and golden brown.
Try with different meat variations to mix things up.